Allergy Treatment in Arlington, VA
There’s no denying the misery that comes from allergies, but Urgent Care Center of Arlington can help. Whether you are dealing with an acute allergic reaction that needs immediate treatment or are suffering the misery of seasonal respiratory allergies, our medical team is ready to help you get to the bottom of your suffering so you can get a true solution. With our convenient hours and central location in Arlington, relief is easy to find with a visit to Urgent Care Center of Arlington.
If you have allergies, you already know the discomfort they cause, but do you really understand how they occur? Allergies are quite common and can create serious, life-threatening symptoms or mildly annoying symptoms, depending on the cause and type of allergies. Estimates indicate that around 17 million adults and 7 million children in the United States suffer from at least one allergy.
Allergies originate in the immune system. The immune system is designed to protect the body from foreign substances through the creation of antibodies that fight those substances. When an allergic reaction occurs, the immune system malfunctions and tries to attack a harmless substance as if it were an antigen that could cause harm. It does so by creating histamine, a chemical in the body that will trigger your reaction symptoms. Something that creates an allergic reaction in your body is known as an allergen.
Types of Allergic Reactions
Different people react differently to their allergens. Some common types of allergies include:
- Skin reactions – Hives, rashes, and itchy skin can all be symptoms of an allergic reaction.
- Respiratory reactions – Hay fever, or the sinus inflammation that comes with seasonal allergies, as well as itchy nose, mouth, and eyes are all a sign of respiratory reactions to allergens.
- Digestive reactions – Some food allergies can cause digestive upset, diarrhea, and vomiting.
- Anaphylactic reactions – These are the most serious allergic reactions and can be to foods, bee stings, and a number of other allergens. This reaction happens within minutes of exposure to the allergen and can cause a person’s heart or breathing to stop. A severely itching mouth, tongue swelling, breathing difficulties, and throat swelling are all first symptoms of an anaphylactic reaction and require immediate medical attention.
If you suspect that you are having an anaphylactic reaction to an allergen, call 911. For other allergy symptoms, visit Urgent Care Center of Arlington for fast assistance. We offer convenient walk-in service at a state-of-the-art medical facility conveniently located in Arlington,
Allergy Treatment Options
At Urgent Care Center of Arlington, we have a number of options we use to help treat allergies. When you visit our clinic with allergy symptoms, our doctors will first offer testing to determine the potential cause of your allergies. Then, we will prescribe treatments to help bring you relief. Treatment options include:
- Allergy testing
- Identifying and avoiding triggers
- Allergy medications
- Allergy shots
Relief from allergies is possible. If you are tired of suffering, make an appointment at Urgent Care Center of Arlington, or stop in for a walk-in clinic appointment. Our friendly staff and professional medical providers are ready to help you feel better. Call us or contact us online to learn more about our allergy treatment options.